Brown’s was opened in 1837 by James Brown, butler to Romantic poet, hedonist and freedom-fighter Lord Byron. The first British telephone call was made from here in 1876, five years after Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie took refuge in one of the considerable suites after fleeing the Third Republic. Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie and Rudyard Kipling were also guests.
The 115 traditional rooms and suites – sympathetically designed by Olga Polizzi – each pays tribute to the hotel’s heritage. Such as the lush Kipling Suite, where the man himself stayed and wrote 'The Jungle Book'. The suite's floor-to-ceiling windows, hardwood floors and William Morris-esque wallpaper make it a jewel in Brown’s crown.
Non-residents can also get a taste of the luxury at Brown's classy cocktail bar, The Donovan, and enjoy afternoon tea in the The English Tea Room.