News / City Life

Women in London earn 28% less than men

Gender pay gap in London

What's the difference between being a man and being a woman in London? £13,900 a year, actually. We surveyed 3,000 Londoners as part of the Time Out City Life Index and found that London's gender pay gap is 28%, with men earning nearly £46 a day more, despite only working on average a couple of hours more a week. That means the typical London man could buy himself a Zones 1-3 weekly travelcard every day out of the ‘Extra Cash for Being a Man’ fund.

The gender pay gap in Manchester is 22% and in Edinburgh it’s 26% – so not only do female Londoners earn less than male Londoners, but they’re also relatively worse off than women in other UK cities. Ouch.

Of the more than 3,000 Londoners we surveyed for the Time Out City Life Index 2018, 98.7% identified as either male or female. Of the remaining 1.3%, 0.9% said they were smashing gender binaries and 0.4% said they’d rather not say.

Salaries and identities aside, here are some more subtle (but vital) differences between daily London life for men and women.

London men are more likely to...

Pick up a takeaway

Eat pizza or curry

Go out on a weeknight

Go to gigs

Use Twitter and LinkedIn

Hate cyclists

Complain about traffic

Own property

Feel depressed

Feel like they can’t be themselves

Say they can’t get through the day without a drink

London women are more likely to...

Cook

Eat brunch

Eat sushi or tacos

Go to the theatre

Use Facebook and Instagram

Hand in a lost wallet

Worry about homelessness

Rent (or sofa-surf)

Think London is a rip-off

Commute for longer

Feel unsafe

Feel lonely

Feel stressed

Feel anxious

Now discover loads more facts and figures from this year’s Time Out City Life Index.

Advertising
Advertising

Comments

3 comments
BEIJING

It is unfortunate that because of lazy journalism and the spreading of vogue nonsense that today on TV a little girl was worried she would be paid less than a man for doing the same job.


I appreciate "Women get paid 28% less than Men!" sounds much better than "Men and Women doing the same jobs with similar levels of experience get paid the same amount, but if you ignore the fact that women are more likely to do part time work than men, and then average all of their salaries, WOMEN GET PAID 28% LESS", but surely in the era of fake news we should all be making a conscious effort not to mislead, especially in apolitical websites such as TimeOut?

Ells S

It's interesting that organisations like TimeOut are still hammering this old discredited 'gender gap' rubbish.  The simple fact is that men and women in general are drawn to different types of jobs, because they have differerent desires and characteristics, and these jobs pay different amounts.  There is a correlation between pay and gender, but not a clear causation.  Penny dreadful journalism like this just re-peddles these myths without doing anything to understand them.  And never addresses areas where the disadvantages lie with males.  Take, for example, the case of a major national institution (I would name it, and will if pushed, but would prefer not to).  There, over the last twelve months, they recruited for 253 vacancies, of which 72% went to women!  In their curatorial grades, 72 vacancies led to just 12 appointments going to men.


It's important to recognise that men and women seek different things from work, we are not all the same.  And pay will often reflect that.  Perpetuating the 'gender gap' without doing anything to better understand it will just exacerbate an already bad situation and cement a set of perceptions that is untrue, untested and ultimately damaging for all of us.

Chris J

So according to your article, on average men work a couple of hours a week more than women, and earn £46 a day more for it.  Yet this is apparently a result of the ‘Extra Cash for Being a Man fund'.  Isn't it slightly more likely that its a result of the 'work more, earn more' fund?  Are you suggesting that men should not be remunerated more if they work more than women?  Or that women should get the same pay, even though, according to your article, they work fewer hours.  Like so many articles about the 'gender gap', this article is nonsense, it's just unusual in that the evidence of its ridiculousness is given within the article iself!