Occupying a prime location on the north of the Thames, right next to Blackfriars Bridge (one of Henry VIII's palaces once stood on the site), this curved building, designed in a neoclassical Art Deco style, was commissioned in 1920 by Lord Leverhulme and, when completed in 1931, became Unilever's headquarters. Grade II listed in 1977, it has been renovated in the past decade to create contemporary office space. Many original features have been retained, including parquet flooring and lift car panels designed by Eric Gill. The renovation was a 2009 RIBA award winner. The building is open on September 22 as part of Open House London. Entry is first come, first served, so be prepared to queue.