Ahh, the sweet, sweet sounds of the city. In the constant cacophony, a few sounds stick out as being "so LA." Here are a few you'll definitely hear if you spend enough time in the city.
1. Danger dog vendors peddling their wares on the sidewalk
2. Planes taking off/landing directly overhead while you're sunning at Dockweiler
3. The subtle creaking of a sub-5.0 earthquake
4. Mockingbirds singing in the middle of the night in springtime (exciting at first, then rather annoying)
5. Ghetto birds hovering in the middle of the night year-round (sometimes with the bonus sounds of cops yelling through loudspeakers)
6. Korean BBQ sizzling up a storm
7. Fog horns in the South Bay
8. Applause after a film and throughout the credits
9. Palm fronds hitting the ground while the Santa Ana winds are blowing
10. People yelling religious credos through microphones on the corner or from their cars
11. Skateboards speeding down concrete streets
12. Snippets of conversation about someone's latest script/audition/etc.
13. Coyotes howling unsettlingly close at sunset
14. Ice cream trucks' tinny recorded songs
15. The sound of waves crashing against the beach with surfers yelling at each other in the background
16. Absolutely nothing as a Prius sneaks up on you
17. The high-pitched honk-squawk of a peacock
18. Street sweepers—but only on Tuesdays
19. Blenders roaring at the the latest juice spot
20. "Would you like onions with that?"
What sounds do you associate with this city? Let us know in the comments below.