Owning a pet in New York City can be a bit more complicated than elsewhere, but growing up with a pet is still just as much a childhood rite of passage here as it is in less urban areas! When the kids start begging for a four-legged friend, don't panic—we've put together a comprehensive NYC pet guide for families to make the process easier to handle. If your brood is ready for a furry addition to the family, peruse our list of 10 awesome places to adopt a dog in NYC, then, once you've welcomed a cat or dog into your home, check out some of the best NYC pet stores, dog-friendly parks and annual pet events on offer around the city. Not ready to adopt quite yet? Your brood can curl up in front of one of the most-beloved animal-themed films of all time to enjoy a pet sans commitment.
RECOMMENDED: 50 funny animal videos to watch with your kids
You might also like
- NYC pet guide: Where to adopt pets for New York City families
- Behind-the-scenes at five buzz-worthy birthday parties in NYC
- NYC kids tell us why they have the best dad in the world
- Activities for Labor Day weekend: Free and cheap events in 2012
- Summer camps: Special needs camps for kids in New York City