You only have a few more chances to get a tan while having someone read to you. We don’t want to admit that summer is almost over either, but its approaching end just means we have to revel in these warm days. So ride your bike, drink a lemonade, wear your favorite crop top and cut-offs and head to these sunshine-infused lit events.
RECOMMENDED: Full guide to things to do in the summer in NYC
- Fort Greene Park Literary Festival; Sat Aug 23, 2pm, Fort Greene Park
Neighborhood teens who have been part of this summer's New York Writers Coalition workshop read alongside lit stars, like Vanessa Gabb and Sapphire, as part of the tenth annual summer fest.
- Word for Word Poetry; Tue Aug 26, 7pm, Bryant Park Reading Room
A special evening of poetry in the park, featuring the verses of Amber Atiya, Peter Gizzi, Cathy Park Hong and—one of our favorites—Dorothea Lasky.
- Poets in the Garden; Sun Aug 31, 5:30pm, Elizabeth Street Garden
This summertime series, hosted by McNally Jackson Books, ends its season with a blowout reading by five talented women writers: Corina Copp, Leopoldine Core, Sarah Gerard, Jocelyn Spaar, Jacqueline Waters.
- BOA Editions Reading; Tue Sep 2, 7pm; Bryant Park Reading Room
The nonprofit publisher brings some of its own authors to the great outdoors; relax under a tree as Aracelis Girmay, Katy Lederer and Anthony Tognazzini take the mike.
- Poets & Writers in the Park; Tue Sept 9, 7pm; Bryant Park Reading Room
Beloved lit organization and magazine Poets & Writers highlights the multicultural writings of Rich Villar, T'ai Freedom Ford, Kamilah Aisha Moon and Tung-Hui Hu.
- Jean Valentine’s Favorite Poets; Thur Sep 11, 7pm; Bryant Park Reading Room
Longtime NYC resident and recent New York State Poet Laureate Jean Valentine curates an evening of readings by her own favorite verse-slingers: Jack Lynch, Kate Linton, Jane Mead and Jaime Shearn Coan.
- A Tribute to Jean Valentine; Tue Sep 23*, 7pm, Bryant Park Reading Room
And because we can't get enough of this phenomenal writer—who just turned 80 and has been publishing since 1965—poets Catherine Barnett, Mark Doty and Timothy Liu gather to honor her.
*Yes, technically this is autumn, but let’s just be wild and call the end of September “extra summer.”