It's the first Monday of the new year, and let's admit it: it's a little rough. New Yorkers have been off on holiday here and there for the past couple of weeks, and it seemed like everyone had sort of forgotten how to subway this morning. But don't fret—the year is off to a great start and we're here to help you keep those fitness, mental health and positive attitude resolutions. Here are five ways to keep your zen in 2015:
- Take 20 yoga classes for $20 at Bhakti Yoga- The Bhakti Center (25 1st Avenue and E 2nd St) on the Lower East Side believes "a sound mind in a sound body is the key to a healthy and happy existence." And we believe in good deals. Get 20 one-hour yoga classes for just $20 and take classes for all levels, seven days a week.
- Give in to the power of meditation with Dharma Punx- The community of Dharma Punx is "an open, Buddhist community of healthy, wise and compassionate people from every walk of life." If that sounds like you, or who you want to be, check out a guided meditation at Maha Rose Center for Healing in Greenpoint (97 Green St between Franklin St and Manhattan Ave). After the meditation, your guide will discuss Buddhist strategies for relieving stress and suffering.
- Face your fear of needles and try acupuncture- Maha Rose offers community acupuncture for only $40 a session. So you can try the ancient Chinese medicine while gaining strength from the others around you.
- Take a dip into a "sound bath"- The Brooklyn Zen Center (505 Carroll St between Third and Fourth Aves) offers many calming activities and classes, and on January 11 at 6pm you can submerge yourself in a "'bath' of soothing sounds that take you on an inner journey of relaxation and transformation." Your integrative sound therapist, Nick Martinez, uses instruments like shamanic drumming, gongs and Himalayan singing bowls to put your mind into a healing state.
- Treat yourself to a massage or facial- Get fresh with an affordable rub-down or facial from Skin Spa New York. Right now on giltcity.com you can purchase a 60-minute facial for $39 (usually $70) or a 60-minute massage for $49 (usually $85). Ahhhhh. And here's even more New Year spa deals for your pleasure.
Check out our list of even more spiritual events, and namaste, everyone.