New York isn’t the most affordable place to live, but there are plenty of cheap options if you know where to look. From tasty dumplings to world-famous cultural institutions, these are the 20 best things you can get in NYC for just a buck.
1. Five fried chive and pork dumplings at Prosperity Dumpling.
2. A slice of pizza from 2 Bros.
3. A bubble tea from Bubbly Tea in Chinatown on Tuesday and Thursdays.
4. One credit for a game at Luna Park in Coney Island.
5. A ride on the Riverbank State Park carousel.
6. Four arcade games at Barcade.
7. Shaved ice from any number of street vendors.
8. A treasure from Jack’s 99-Cent Store.
9. An oyster at any of these excellent happy hours.
10. A book from the racks outside Strand Book Store.
12. French fries from Papaya King.
13. A (small) burger from 123 Burger Shot Beer.
14. Coffee from various street carts.
15. A samosa from Little Pakistan Deli. (UPDATE: Now closed, unfortunately)
16. A donation yoga class at various studios, including Yoga to the People.
17. A domestic draft beer from Calico Jack's Cantina on Tuesday nights.
18. Meat on a stick from Xin Jiang Prosperity Kebabs in Chinatown.
19. Two mini empanadas from Seba Seba in Jackson Heights.
20. A pickle from The Pickle Guys on the Lower East Side (actually, they're 75 cents).