While we're longing for the dizzying thrill of being on a Coney Island ride, a new refurbished and colorized video of Luna Park in 1910 has surfaced, and it's a sight to behold.
In the video, thousands of people swarm the amusement park in their straw hats and frocks, kids gobble down ice cream cones and gawk at a roller coaster set on a giant rocking track and an elephant passes by. The scene it depicts was Luna Park at its peak, according to HeartofConeyIsland.com.
Ukrainian digital artist Alex Holov on Monday uploaded the video, which he downloaded from the Silent Movie Cinema archive (you can see the original here), colorized it and increased the quality using AI algorithms, he tells us.
He and his daughter had been wondering how theme parks looked in the past, so they began their search and found the Luna Park video on archive.org. Holov had been experimenting with AI algorithms, so he decided to enhance it.
"Everyone could take away something specific from the colorized video," he says. "For me, personally, it helps to understand the past better. It's like a time-traveling machine for me."
For us it is, too–the video puts you right in the middle of the bustling amusement park and brings back the feelings of lighthearted fun we get from a visit to Coney Island.
Most popular on Time Out
- The best live theater to stream online today
- When will hair salons reopen in NYC and what will it be like to get a haircut?
- Recreate Magonlia Bakery’s iconic cupcakes at home
- The Metropolitan Opera is streaming more free performances every night this week
- Brooklyn families share how they’re currently coping in this new photo series