Park Slope was the site of the first Revolutionary War engagement
The Old Stone House at Washington Park (336 Third St. between Fourth and Fifth avenues) is a reconstruction of the 1699 Vechte-Cortelyou House, an original Dutch farmstead that became a Revolutionary War landmark. Its land was where the first battle of the Battle of Long Island took place just after the Declaration of Independence was issued. In 1897, the house was burned and razed but its remnants were used to reconstruct it in 1934. For awhile, served as the clubhouse for a winter skating team and the Brooklyn Superbas (later known as the Brooklyn Dodgers). Today it is used as a memorial to the Battle of Long Island and a venue for concerts, readings, lectures and school trips.