Olympic Park, London, E20 3HB
The Handball Arena is a sleek, boxy modernist structure, but its appearance is designed to change over time: the exterior is adorned with around 3,000sq m of copper cladding that is intended to age and weather. Green initiatives include 88 pipes through the roof to let in natural light and reduce the need for artificial lighting, and rainwater pipes for recycling water. The sportsmen and -women might be more excited about the sprung wood floor in the competition area.
RECOMMENDED: See our full list of London 2012 Olympic venues
After the Games, a combination of permanent and retractable seating will enable the venue to be converted into a flexible indoor sports centre.
Location: On the west side of the Park, just off the North-West Concourse, between the Olympic Stadium and the Hockey Centre
You might also like
- 33 people you will definitely see on the New York subway
- Catch the Perseid meteor shower light up New York City skies
- 10 fun things to do (while sober) in January
- This Is Our Youth's Tavi Gevinson and Kieran Culkin talk ’80s New York, Wrestlemania and backstage shenanigans
- Best umbrellas for rainy days in New York