When you're off the sauce a lemon, lime and bitters is often the go-to choice for a non-alcoholic drink. But there's a lot more you can do with the average ingredients behind a bar, and Sydney is certainly not short of top notch spots willing to whip up an ace booze-free mocktail. Australian Bitters has teamed up with the Dry July Foundation this winter to make Dry July a little more delicious. They've collaborated with bartenders from the city's top bars and restaurants to come up with fresh new concoctions that will change the way you think about alcohol-free drinks.
Want to master the mocktail? Here's a set of recipes you can try at home, or if you'd rather leave the shaking and stirring to the experts, try them in situ.
Bittered Strawberry Pavlova
- 3 bar spoons of Bittered Strawberry puree (fresh strawberries, sugar syrup, lime juice, Australian Bitters)
- 2 bar spoons of Spiced apple puree (granny smith apples, cloves, star anise, cinnamon, red wine, sugar)
- 1 bar spoon passionfruit pulp
- 90ml orange juice
- 30ml apple Juice
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 3 dashes of Australian Bitters
- 5ml of fresh cream
Shake all ingredients, strain into chilled Martini glass.
Spiced apple puree, passionfruit puree, bittered strawberry puree all decorated on plate. Place 1 meringue on plate, top with fresh cream and a strawberries.
Keeping up Appearances
- 90ml fresh sweet imperial mandarin juice
- 30ml house made clove syrup
- Small barspoon of lime marmalade
- 5 Dashes Australian Bitters
- Dash of egg white
- Fresh lime juice to balance
Dry shake and then shake with ice and double strain over ice into a tall glass. Garnish with a piece of mandarin studded with cloves.
Faded in Barbados
- 75ml fresh pineapple juice
- 20ml fresh lemon juice
- 5ml fresh ginger juice
- 15ml orgeat syrup
- 1 whole cherry (muddled)
- 2 dashes Australian Bitters
Shake and strain into a highball glass
and garnish with a dehydrated pineapple segment and an Australian Bitters mist.
Good Guy Shandy
- 40ml ruby red grapefruit juice
- 40ml sarsaparilla and honey mix
- 20ml spiced lager reduction (no alcohol)
- 60ml Wattleseed soda
- Egg whites
- 5 dashes Australian Bitters (4 in the drink + 1 on top)
Pour into a conical beer glass. Garnish with one drop of Australian Bitters and serve with spiced bar nuts.
Shake & Break
- 3 dashes Australian bitters
- 2 barspoons of banana protein powder
- 2 barspoons of yuzu juice
- 2 barspoons vanilla
- 3 fresh raspberries
- 15ml Water
Place ingredients into a magic bullet and mix. Serve in a coup glass and decorate with fresh raspberries and two dashes of Australian Bitters for aroma.
-1/2 a lime
-2 dashes Australia Bitters
-8 mint leaves
-60 mls of fresh pineapple juice
-Cascade Ginger Beer
Muddle the limes, mint, sugar and bitters . Add pineapple juice and shake. Pour it all into a hurricane glass and top with ginger beer.
Garnish with sprig of mint and lime wheel.
- 4 dashes Australian Bitters
- Mixed fresh berries
- 120ml apple juice
- Fresh mint
- 30ml simple syrup
- 10ml raspberry syrup
Combine all ingredients in a shaker with a large scoop of ice. Shake vigorously until shaker has iced over. Double strain into martini glass and garnish with maraschino cherry and mint leaf.
Christmas in July
-30 ml spiced cherry juice (house made)
-30 ml cloudy apple juice (golburnvalle)
-30 ml orange juice (golburnvalley)
-5 dashes Australian Bitters
Ice the glass
Rim glass with orange peel. Add all ingredients together over Ice and hard shake then double strain in a ballon glass. Serve with orange peel and cherry.
Place all ingredients in a sauce pan or double boiler, heat and serve in a suitable glass. Garnish with cinnamon and orange peel.