This now-defunct heritage-listed station and platform building was originally a ‘funeral station’ – hence the name. Built in 1869 and designed by colonial architect James Barnet, the station functioned until 1938 as a destination point for train services specifically carrying the deceased and bereaved. This accounts for its ‘religious’ appearance, with Barnet adopting elements of Venetian 13th-century Gothic style in his architecture, including cherubs and gargoyles.
The Mortuary Station has had several different functions since 1938, but is currently closed to the public except on special occasions (including Sydney Living Museums’ annual Sydney Open event), and is maintained by the Sydney Trains authority.
It will be one of the venues open to the public as part of the 20th Biennale of Sydney, in 2016.
|Venue name:||Mortuary Station|
|Transport:||Nearby stations: Central|