Boston is home to thousands of college students each year. While Boston has a reputation for being expensive, Time Out Market Boston is just a stone’s throw from some of Boston’s top colleges and universities and offers lots of cheap eats. We have gathered our top student-budget-friendly items that you have to try this semester. Be sure to also check out our guide to cheap eats throughout Boston as well.
anoush’ella is known for their healthy Mediterranean fare, and lots of hearty items are $15 or less.
- Chef Mezze Sampler ($16) - Sampling of hummus, labne, baba-ganoush, falafel, walnut harissa + flatbread
- Individual Mezee ($4.50) - choice of one from the above list + flatbread
- Fattoush Salad ($14) - Mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, red pepper, onion, fresh herbs, pomegranate vinaigrette
- Lentil Rice with Zataar Chicken Grain Bowl ($14) - Armenian Salad, labne, walnut harissa, pickled turnip
- Anoush'ella Beef Kofta ($14.50) - hummus, sumac onion, tahini, zhouk & side of baba ganoush
- Rice Pudding ($5.25)
BISq offers some belly warming sandwiches for a great deal, perfect to power your through the Fall semester.
- Fried Chicken Sandwich ($13) - Fried Chicken, buttermilk ranch, brad & butter pickles on a potato roll
- Chicken Strips ($9) - 5 chicken strips w/ sauce (buttermilk ranch, bbq, honey mustard, ketchup); +$4 add fries & salad
- Cubano Sandwich ($15) - Ham, roasted pork, swiss cheese, pickles and spicy mustard on a club roll
Cusser’s is a great place to get a taste of New England and lots of signature items are $12 or less.
- Fish Tacos ($11) - crispy fish, cabbage slaw, pickled onions, cilantro, jalapenos, Thoreau sauce
- Clam Chowder ($7.50)
- All Roast Beef Sandwiches are $12
Gelato & Chill
All scoops at Gelato & Chill are $5, so treat yourself to something sweet during study break!
Get a taste of O Ya, one of Boston’s top restaurants at a steal of a deal at Gogo Ya.
- $10 for 1 sushi taco (all options)
- Maki Rolls & Handrolls - Avocado Maki ($12), Salmon Maki ($13), Spicy Tuna Maki ($14)
- Miso Soup ($6) - wakame, local tofu, shitake mushroom, scallions
- Edame ($5) - w/ Malden sea salt
At InChu, all bowls start at $14 and include a choice of BBQ Chicken, Ginger Beef, Vegetarian + base (organic greens or jasmine rice).
- Korean BimBimBap - fried egg, pickled daikon, carrot slaw, cucumber, bean sprouts, spinach, green onion, sesame seeds, gochujang-soy
- Thai Pad Krapow - pickled mango, red cabbage, carrot slaw, bean sprouts, green onion, holy basil, cilantro, mint, chiles, peanut sauce, hot pepper glaze
La Saison offers all your pastries, break and cake needs, with lots of sweet treats in a great price range.
- Cookies & Bars - range from $3.50 - $5
- Chocolate Pudding Cake Slide - $9.50
- Bread & Cracker - range from $6.90 - $7.30
- Scones & Tea Cakes - range from $4.90 - $5.50
- Viennoiseries - range from $4.75 - $5.20
Pick up classic sandwiches from one of Boston’s most well-known chefs at Schlow’s.
- Caprese Sandwich ($13) - fresh mozzarella, ripe tomato, pesto vinaigrette
- Meatball Parmesan ($15)
Ms. Cluck's Deluxe
Are chicken and waffles ever a bad idea? Not at Ms. Cluck’s Deluxe.
- Karaage Chicken & Waffles ($14) - umami salt, miso maple syrup, scallions, side of yuzu kosho aioli
- Cajun Karaage Chicken Sando ($14) - Spicy crispy chicken thigh, bacon, tomato, iceberg lettuce, dashi pickles, nori buttermilk ranch
- Chicken, Broccoli & Cheddar Gyoza ($9) - crispy cheesy frico crust, spicy miso dipping sauce
For under $15 grab a gourmet burger, but note that pricing at NuBurger only includes the burger, fries are extra; Haloumi Fries ($6) & Parmesan-Truffle Fries ($5.50).
- Fenway NuBurger ($14) - sharp cheddar, tomato, charred onion, lettuce, spicy pickle & NuSauce
- Spicy Cauliflower ($14) - cauliflower-quinoa-cheddar veggie patty, avocado-pistachio-pesto, red cabbage slaw & NuSauce
Obviously, there are plenty of coffee, boba and tea drinks for under $10 at Say Coffee, but they also have some tasty and affordable crepes!
- Nutella La ($10) - classic Nutella crepe
- A Day at Say ($12) - strawberries, cream, almonds, cocoa glaze
- Savory Crepes ($14) - Secret Garden (veggies), Tuscan Chicken
Taqueria El Barrio
Grab your friends and start your own Taco Tuesday at Taqueria El Barrio on a budget.
- Tacos (1 for $4.75) - Asada, Pastor, Carnitas, Chicken, Vegan Chorizo, Birria, Fish. Choice of corn of flour tortilla
- Plain Quesadilla ($7.50)
- Quesadillas with fillings ($13.95) - Asada, Pastor, Carnitas, Chicken, Vegan Chorizo, Birria
- Nachos ($11 with no protein) - cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, pickled jalapenos; +5 for protein (asada, pastor, carnitas, chicken, birria, vegan chorizo)
Union Square Donuts
Last but not least, sometimes we all just need a donut. And Union Square Donuts are the OG gourmet donuts in town so you have to give them a try.
- Classic Donuts - range from $3.50 - $4.75
- Specialty Donuts - range from $3.75 - $5
- Vegan Donuts - range from $3.50 - $4
- Donut Holes (glazed) - $5 for one dozen