Love a kimchi hotdog? Us too! So we've gone and nabbed the kimchi hotdog recipe from flash celeb hangout Le Caprice. Okay okay, they gave it to us. Because, you know, kimchi hotdog. And we asked nicely.
Beef hot dog with kimchi (from Le Caprice's brunch menu)
2 hot dog rolls (if you can find brioche buns, these are the best)
2 Frankfurters (Le Caprice uses the award-winning Kentish sausage company Franconian [franconian.co.uk].)
1 baby gem lettuce
1 spring onion
2 tbsp kimchi (available online, in some supermarkets and in all Korean food stores)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Sunflower oil for cooking
Maldon salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
1. Wash and spin the baby gem in a salad spinner and then cut it into strips. Trim and peel the spring onion and then cut into slices by chopping lengthways on the diagonal, starting at the bulb end. Keep them as fine as you can, but do be careful. They should be about 2.5cm long.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / gas mark 4.
3. Put a little oil into a frying pan and sear the Frankfurters on all sides. Then, pop them into an oven proof dish and cook for a further five minutes until they are hot in the middle.
4. Whilst doing this, dry fry the sesame seeds on a low heat for a couple of minutes. Be careful not to burn them and, once they’re golden brown, pop them into a bowl and keep them to one side until you’re ready to use them.
5. Make an incision into the brioche buns on the tops, lengthways, but don’t cut all the way through. When the Frankfurters are nearly ready, put the brioche buns under the grill for a minute or so until they start to go golden brown. Now you can assemble the hot dogs. Spread all the lettuce and three quarters of the spring onion into the brioche buns. Lay the Frankfurter on top. Add the rest of the spring onion. Spoon the kimchi relish over the top of the Frankfurter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Season and serve immediately.
Ta-da! Now, share this with someone who owes you brunch (hint hint).
Hot dog? Jumping frog? Albuquerque? Not sure, but check out our list of London's best dogs while you mull it over.