Friendly warning! We're working hard to be accurate. But these are unusual times, so please check that events are still happening.
Owned by the National Trust, Red House and its garden were commissioned by William Morris and designed by Philip Webb, two of the founding members of the Arts and Crafts movement. On its completion in 1859, Morris lived in the house with his wife Jane Burden, a pre-Raphaelite model and talented embroiderer, for five years and it is filled with his work and the works of Edward Burne-Jones, Faulkner, Rosetti, Webb and Jane Burden. The garden, which features a striking centre-piece well intended by Morris to be the social centre of the house, is regarded as having had an important influence on Gertrude Jekyll and William Robinson.