It’s summa summa summa time… almost. You’re tanned and toned and ready to take on the ever-so-slight change in season. But where to show off those beautiful beach bodies? Breathe easy… there are plenty of al fresco offerings on the horizon, perfect for sucking in some of that smog-filled LA summer air.
1. Festivals. Chinatown Summer Nights is a free street fest with dope bands, delicious food trucks and confetti. Roaming around the historic Central Plaza while DJs spin and dumplings are consumed en masse is perhaps one of my favorite ways to pass a summer Saturday night.
2. Music. As if the gorgeous Getty views weren’t enough of a draw, add the tunes of what will soon be your favorite bands and Saturdays Off the 405 is the perfect place to take in the midsummer sunset.
3. Cinema. This one is kind of a “duh.” When the solstice kicks us into (even more) sunshiny days and toasty nights, it seems like every blank wall in town turns into an impromptu open-air theater. The offerings range from current to cult classics—and you can’t forget the BYO-ability of it all. Find your favorite flick at Eat|See|Hear, Cinespia and oh-so-many more.
4. Chow. Picnics... well, just about anywhere you can throw a blanket. For those lucky enough to wake up to the smell of salty ocean air... snacks, a towel and the sea are a winning recipe at Twilight Concerts at the Santa Monica Pier. And for those looking for waterfront dining on the Eastside, cozy up to the Lady of the Lake at Echo Park Lake. Here, you can forgo a basket for the yummy boathouse offerings from Square One.
5. Just Because. Some things are just so wonderfully random, they need not a reason to enjoy. Turtle racing at Brennan's Pub in Marina Del Rey, for example, is one of those things.
Planning out your schedule? Check out the best events of 2015.