Age ain't nothing but a number—except when it comes to all those "who's who under 20/25/30/40" lists recognizing those who have accomplished an impressive amount during their few decades on Earth. This morning, Zagat released their 2016 list of 30 under 30, a selection of restaurant and bar industry professionals who are leading the charge in LA's food and drink scene.
The full list includes men and women ranging in age from 25 to 29, and who encompass a number of different roles in the industry: baker, sommelier, general manager, executive chef, beer director, owner, chef de cuisine. You'll find Andrea Borgen, 27, who is both the owner and general manager at Barcito, and who is making waves in the restaurant world for implementing a tip-included policy at her Downtown restaurant. There's Or Amsalam, 28, owner and baker at Lodge Bread, which has drawn rave reviews from both carb-loving Angelenos and chefs for its fantastic loaves. And there's Chris Chi (26), Philip Moses (26) and Gemma Matsuyama (27), Bestia alumni who launched the food truck Pico House this past year. In short, it's a talent-packed list of young movers and shakers behind the food and drink we consume in our city.
Here's a full list of Zagat's 30 under 30:
1. Or Amsalam, 28, Owner and Baker, Lodge Bread Company
2. Gregory Baumgartner, 26, Pastry Chef, 71Above
3. Katherine Benvenuti, 26, Pastry Chef, Rose Cafe-Restaurant
4. Andrea Borgen, 27, Owner and General Manager, Barcito
5. Matt Bostick, 26, Beverage Director, Baldoria DTLA
6. Margo Cardenas, 24, General Manager, HomeState
7. Chris Chi, 26, Philip Moses, 26, Gemma Matsuyama, 27, Chefs and Pastry Chef, Pico House
8. John Cho, 29, Chef de Cuisine, The Bellwether
9. Emely Cubias, 27, General Manager, The Raymond 1886
10. Denis Della Stritto, 29, Chef de Cuisine, Culina
11. Jeremy Fall, 26, Owner, Nighthawk: Breakfast Bar, Tinfoil: Liquor & Grocery, Easy's Burgers
12. Francisco J. Flores, 28, Chef de Cuisine, Bar Amá
13. Walter Greenwood, 27, Chef
14. Joe Johnson, 28, Chef de Cuisine, Charcoal Venice
15. Charity Kay Johnston, 27, Bar Manager/Mixologist, ROKU Sunset
16. Ari Kahan, 27, Founder and Owner, Mainland Poke
17. Margarita Kallas-Lee, 27, Pastry Chef and Owner Scratch Bar & Kitchen, Oh Man! Ramen, Woodley Proper
18. Julian Kurland, 29, Beer Director, The Cannibal Beer & Butcher
19. Daniela Mercado, 29, Pastry Sous Chef, Bestia
20. Ted Montoya, 28, Chef and Owner, Caló Provisions
21. Gary Nguyen, 26, Executive Chef, Westbound DTLA
22. Zen Ong, 26, Pastry Chef, E.P & L.P.
23. Darwin Pornel, 26, Lead Bartender, Faith & Flower
24. Diego Ruiz de Porras, 28, Restaurant Director, The Belvedere
25. Kelly Runnals, 27, General Manager, Shake Shack
26. Nicolo Rusconi, 25, Co-Founder and Partner, Chicas Tacos and BLVD745
27. Darren Saypharaj, 27, Chef/Owner, We Have Noodles
28. Mary Skokna, 29, General Manager, AKASHA
29. Holly Zack, 25, Partner, Last Word Hospitality
30. Fahara Zamorano, 29, Head Sommelier, Gwen Restaurant
For more details on each honoree, check out Zagat's list here.
Want more? Sign up here to stay in the know.