There’s no question that NYC is a pretty expensive place to live. But hey, there are deals to be had if you know where to look! From street food to free culture, here are 15 things that are actually cheaper in New York than a lot of other places.
1. Bagels. You can get the world’s best bagels on the cheap here.
2. Cab rides. Hey, at least you're not paying Indianapolis prices! (You don't get to say that very often.) And a lot of ride-sharing apps have crazy cheap deals.
3. Pizza. It may be sacrilege to say, but you can get some pretty decent pizza for just a buck.
4. Museums. There are no shortage of free and pay-what-you-will museums.
5. Dim Sum. At venues like Golden Unicorn each dish is around $4.
6. Boat rides. Hello, Staten Island Ferry?
7. Dumplings. Head to Vanessa’s Dumplings for a $3 dinner
8. Sushi. Especially sushi spots with 50% off deals.
9. Manicures and pedicures. Just make sure to do your research before booking an appointment.
10. Island vacations. You only have to take the ferry to Governor’s Island or the air tram to Roosevelt. (Note: This is a joke Judah Friedlander has been making for years.)
11. Kayaking. It’s free at the Downtown Boathouse.
12. Oysters. There are plenty of spots where they’re just a dollar.
13. Yoga. Free in Bryant Park, Times Square and other spots around the city.
14. Designer clothes. Just hit up one of this week's best sample sales.
15. Thrills. Figure it out.