A spooky kind of magic descends over parks this time of year (even the parks that are already spooky), as the shadows become that much darker and all of the trees suddenly seem to be hiding something. So while it's true that outdoor screenings might be more of a summer thing, what better place could there be to watch a scary movie than under a full moon, surrounded by rustling leaves and dozens of strangers you can't really see?
Adding to the small list of October's outdoor movie screenings (shout out to Habana Outpost!), the Department of Parks & Rec is getting into the Halloween spirit with the Monster Mash-ups Movie Series, which—over the course of the month—will turn just about every park in Brooklyn into a haven for outdoor horror. The lineup skews more towards morbid comedy than outright terror (the scariest thing about seeing some of these movies might be the temperature), but each of these films is a great time, particularly if you snag a good spot, bring a whole mess of blankets, and maybe sneak in something you're not supposed to.
All of the screenings are free and begin shortly after 6pm. Check out the series schedule below, and be sure to visit the Department of Parks & Rec's site for more information.
- Shaun of the Dead at West Lawn in Sunset Park, Brooklyn (October 9th)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer at South Lawn in Dyker Beach Park, Brooklyn (October 10th)
- Young Frankenstein at Brooklyn War Memorial in Cadman Plaza Park, Brooklyn (October 16th)
- The Addams Family at Kaiser Park Lawn in Kaiser Park, Brooklyn (October 17th)
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space at Owl’s Head Park, Brooklyn (October 23rd)
- Little Shop of Horrors at Myrtle Avenue Lawn in Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn (October 24th)
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show at McCarren Park Pool Deck in McCarren Park, Brooklyn (October 30th)
RECOMMENDED: See the full guide to Halloween in NYC