Amidst the dog days of summer, the AKC Museum of the Dog just announced a slate of events to cool down and have some summertime fun.
These all-ages activities range from storytime to art classes and more activities that promise a dog-gone good time. Keep scrolling for the full schedule.
RECOMMENDED: New York’s off-beat museums
If you haven't been to American Kennel Club's Museum of the Dog yet, here's a quick rundown: This Murray Hill museum celebrates the role of dogs in society through art and exhibits. Some of the most popular exhibits include a massive collection of canine-related fine art, an exploration of working dogs and an interactive experience where you can find the dog that looks like you.
In addition to showcasing objects from its 1,700-piece collection, the museum delights dog lovers with special events. Museum admission costs $15 for adults and $5 for kids. Buy tickets online here.
Summer Storytime Series
Meet authors and dogs during this storytime event. You'll hear from a children's book author, create a craft in theme with the book, and get up close with real dogs similar to those featured in the story. Storytime is included with general admission.
- Sunday, August 13: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Join Andrea Caceres for a reading of her book, My Dog Just Speaks Spanish.
The American Kennel Club recognizes 200 breeds of dogs. During the breed spotlight events, learn about the history of one specific breed while making art, picking up a collectible dog breed fact sheet, and meeting a dog. Activities are included with general admission.
- Sunday, July 23: Meet the Pumi, a Hungarian herding dog
- Saturday, August 19: Meet the Doberman Pinscher, known as sleek, powerful and intelligent
This monthly event allows visitors to bring their dog to the museum after hours to enjoy the collection. Tickets cost $20/human and $5/dog.
- Friday, July 21: Paw-ty in the USA
- Friday, August 18: Drawing Dogs with Oliver Perry
Bryant Park Art Class
Stop by the Bryant Park Art Cart (located on the corner of 42nd and 5th) for dog-themed art. Each week, there's a different free craft available for artists of all ages. Dogs are welcome to come along to this outdoor space.
- Friday, July 21: Marker Mosaics. Use the form of a dog to guide your design of colorful patterns in a mosaic style.
- Friday, July 28: Paper Bag Dog Puppets. Make a puppet version of an important dog in your life. Learn tricks on how to stack paper shapes to create long snouts and layer fringed paper for a shaggy coat.
- Friday, August 4: Origami Dog Bookmarks. Practice the art of folding paper into a friendly dog face. Use your new canine creation to mark the spot in your summer reading.
- Friday, August 11: Summer Sunset Silhouette. Create a gorgeous summer sunset background and add your favorite dogs to the scene.