The gallery is the former home and property of sculptor Gerald Lewers and painter Margo Lewers
The former home of artists Gerald (sculptor) and Margo Lewers (painter) was opened up to the public in 1981 complete with a free gallery space for exhibitions and a courtyard café overlooking the gardens. The oldest house on the plot was part of the early European settlement, built in 1905, which is where the Lewerses would throw themed dinner parties for all their arty friends who would travel up from Sydney. Margo was an avid gardener, and so the gardens at the gallery are maintained with their creepers and sunken pools. They host markets in the space, including the popular Twilight Christmas Market, and it’s a peaceful spot to take a walk after lunch. Anchor House, which was commissioned for Margo’s mother, is a 1950s modernist building that still has its period fittings and furniture. And the light, modern gallery space is where you’ll find the free exhibitions like Mandy Martin: Homeground (Dec 3-Feb 26).
|Venue name:||Penrith Regional Gallery|
|Opening hours:||Daily 9am-5pm|