Tropfest will be moving to a new home in Parramatta Park in its 25th year.
The announcement was made at Parramatta Park by a group led by Tropfest board member and Mad Max filmmaker George Miller.
It was also revealed at the press conference that the 2017 edition of the renowned short film competition will take place on a Saturday rather than Sunday night, and will return to the traditional Tropfest month of February.
“The City of Parramatta and Parramatta Park Trust have already demonstrated they are 100 per cent behind helping us ensure Tropfest at Parramatta is a success,” said creator John Polson, who is in North America directing an episode of Elementary.
“Having such vested partners on board enables us to continue our core mission – to provide a platform for Australia's incredible filmmaking talent, and to celebrate that talent loudly and for all the world to see.”
“Bringing Tropfest to Parramatta Park will give the event room to grow and prosper and will enable a whole new audience to discover the future stars of Australian film,” said Parramatta Council administrator Amanda Chadwick.
The announcement comes after a rocky year for the festival, including last year’s cancellation due to financial mismanagement and sudden reprieve by the intervention of insurance company CGU.
The 2017 Tropfest Signature Item (that all films entered must contain) is ‘pineapple’.
Tropfest Parramatta Park, Sat Feb 11, 2017.