This building stands on one of the most historic spots in Sydney, site of the first Government House, built in 1788 by Governor Arthur Phillip and home to the first nine governors of NSW. In 1983 archaeologists unearthed the original footings of the house, which had survived since the building’s 1846 demolition; these remains are now a feature at the museum.
Administered by Sydney Living Museums and opened in 1995, the MOS offers a mix of state-of-the-art installations, nostalgic memorabilia and changing exhibitions. A giant video spine spans the full height of the building and charts the physical development of the city.
This area was the first point of contact for the indigenous Gadigal people and the First Fleet, so the museum also explores colonisation, invasion and contact. The Gadigal Place gallery honours the clan’s history and culture, while outside the museum the 'Edge of the Trees' sculpture by Fiona Foley and Janet Laurence symbolises the first encounter, in which the Gadigal people hid behind trees and watched officers of the First Fleet struggle ashore.
Pause in the foyer in front of late indigenous artist Gordon Bennett's 1991 painting 'Possession Island', which re-interprets the traditional European story of contact and colonisation, and parodies British paintings depicting Cook's claiming of Australia.
|Venue name:||Museum of Sydney||Contact:|
Corner Phillip and Bridge Streets
|Opening hours:||Daily 10am-5pm; closed Good Friday, Christmas Day|
|Transport:||Nearby stations: Circular Quay|
Pick a dateto
Bohemian Harbour: Artists of Lavender Bay
Did you know the lower North Shore had its own mini creative movement in the '70s and early '80s? The leafy bayside suburb of Lavender Bay was home to some of Sydney’s most loved and talented artists, which meant it was a rich hot spot of bohemian talent. ...Paintings Until Sunday November 25 2018