Sydney’s Jewish history dates back to convict times – there were around 16 Jews in the First Fleet – and the Great Synagogue, consecrated in 1878, is deemed the mother congregation of the Australian Jewry.
Designed by Thomas Rowe, the building is a lavish confection of French Gothic with large amounts of Byzantine thrown in. The superb front wheel window, facing on to Hyde Park, repeats the design of the wrought-iron gates outside, while inside the cast-iron columns holding up the balcony where the women sit are capped with intricate plaster designs. The ceiling, deep blue with gold-leaf stars, depicts the Creation.
Tours are held once or twice a week on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays ($5-$10, entry from the main gate on Elizabeth St). A small museum is also open (when there is an exhibition) after tours.
|Venue name:||The Great Synagogue||Contact:|
166 Castlereagh St, between Park & Market Sts
|Opening hours:||Open services; Fri 5.45pm (Winter), 6.15pm (Summer); Sat 8.45am; Tours; 12 noon Tue & Thu (except on Jewish Festivals)|
|Transport:||Nearby stations: St James, Town Hall|
|Do you own this business?|