As the trend for gutting old pubs claims yet more Hampstead boozers, this place’s cachet increases. Located on a quiet hilltop backstreet, this Grade II-listed building was originally built as a house in the 1790s and used as the Assembly Rooms in the 1800s, before becoming a pub in 1928. A higgledy-piggledy air remains, with three low-ceilinged bar areas and one bar counter at which decent pints are poured. Sound food and a good choice of wines by the glass are further draws.
See more pubs with open fires in the capital