Get us in your inbox

Search
remote learning
Photograph: Shutterstock

New data from NYC schools reveals remote learning signups are increasing

Over 50 percent of students are learning remotely.

By
Danielle Valente
Advertising

Update: The week of Oct 26, the NYC DOE revealed that 26 percent of of students in NYC schools have attended class in-person thus far. 

According to the most recent Learning Preferences Survey results on Oct 9, 52 percent of students in the NYC DOE (approximately 503,000 children) are learning remotely. The other 48 percent of students in NYC schools are participating in the blending learning curriculum.  

This news comes on the heels of school closures in Brooklyn and Queens in areas where virus cases are on the rise. There are 169 school sites that have been shut down thus far, according to the DOE. For parents who are uneasy about these spikes, know that you can opt your child into remote learning at any point throughout the year. 

As for making a switch to blended learning—that's another story. But it's expected that parents will be looped in fairly soon. The Learning Preferences Survey also stated, "The window for fully-remote learning students to opt into the blended learning model will soon open and we will communicate more information to families soon."

Another situation that's TBD? The grading system

“We have been full steam ahead for a reopening that prioritizes health, safety and high-quality instruction for all students," Danielle Filson, deputy press secretary for the NYC DOE said in a statement. "Our citywide grading policy will be released soon, and in the meantime, schools are setting expectations for students, reviewing work and giving feedback about progress. As we did last year, we will support schools in adapting their policies to acknowledge the impact of remote learning and any overarching citywide changes."

Most popular on Time Out

- NYC schools closed: a running list of building shutdowns
- NYC schools have cancelled snow days for the 2020–2021 term
- The best apple picking NY kids and families love
- The best spots for pumpkin picking NY families love
- The best Halloween movies for kids of all ages

Get us in your inbox! Sign up to our newsletter for the latest and greatest from NYC and beyond.

Latest news

    Advertising