NYC is the best place to raise a family, and here, being a mom or dad is tougher than it looks (and comes with plenty of things you just don't have time to feel shameful about)! Here are just a few of the funny things you brush off your shoulders while raising the little ones (including, but not limited to, being covered in boogers, planning mommy meetups at a cocktail bar and piling kids three-deep in a stroller).
1. Going (unshowered) to Sunday brunch with the kids in tow because really, mommy just needs a mimosa and a pile of syrup-drenched French toast.
2. Changing a diaper anywhere. ANYWHERE. Like a ninja!
3. Essentially being a bag lady/gent between the diapers, wipes, backpack of small toys and even your own stuff (if you remember to bring it).
4. Just giving up and ordering an Uber when you can't freaking deal with the stroller for one more second.
5. Quickly brushing off a dirty pacifier on your sleeve before giving it back to your kid. It will only make their immune system stronger...right?
6. Letting your kids play catch in the middle of the street, because where else are they supposed to do it?
7. Suggesting the local bar as the site for the next Mommy/Daddy Group meetup just so you can have a beer.
8. Getting Shake Shack for dinner three nights in a row because the kids begged and you didn't have the heart to say no.
9. Using your sleeve, dress, pants, etc as a rag on the reg and accepting the fact that you've become a human tissue.
10. Offering your kids an extra hour on Minecraft before bedtime so you can veg out and watch the Game of Thrones episode you missed on Sunday.
11. Borrowing your friend's go-to babysitter in a moment of desperation (and secretly hoping she comes back/likes your kids better). Okay, a teeny tiny bit of shame...
12. Using the playground as a place to catch up with your buddies. While you push the kids on the swings, you can chat about pretty much anything (as long as you spell it out).
13. Piling three kids into a double stroller, with one in the lap of another, because consolidation is a skill you just need to learn when you have three kids.
14. Doing anything and everything just to see your kids smile (at the risk of seeming like a crazy person to everyone else).
15. Enrolling your kids in every sports/club possible to up their chances of getting into a top NYC school.
16. Teaching your kids to use stairs anywhere you can can (since most apts don't have them inside) by having them walk up or down the stairs of a subway station. With a horde of angry commuters trailing behind. :x
18. Loudly giving the kids a running commentary of EVERYTHING going on around you, then realizing you're doing it even when they're not around...
19. Taking a million photos of your kid in the bathtub knowing you can embarrass them in front of their girlfriend/boyfriend sixteen years from now.
20. Bailing on Friday plans and falling asleep right after the kids do...because you can.
21. Talking about your awesome kids to everyone that will listen because really they are the coolest humans ever!