Next summer, you might have to start eating in Jersey. For its megawatt overhaul of Newark Liberty International Airport’s Terminal C, United Airlines has called in heavy-hitting toques like Alain Ducasse, Mario Carbone and Dale Talde. With 55 restaurants and bars to start construction over the next 18 months, this project leaves Delta’s makeover of JFK’s Terminal 4, which included ventures from Danny Meyer and Marcus Samuelsson, in the dust. Expect sushi bars, slurp shops, barbecue dens and French bistros, which are slated to open in stages. Here the highlights:
- ABC Kitchen alum Dan Kluger will churn out American plates like roast chicken and grilled pork chop at Vanguard Kitchen.
- Einat Admony will bring Mediterranean dishes (shawarma sandwiches, Moroccan fish) to Flora Café, which is expected to feel like a hybrid of her falafel joint, Taïm, and her full-service spaces Balaboosta and Bar Bolonat.
- The Elm’s Paul Leibrandt is set to open Vesper Tavern, an upscale pub with raw oysters, duck cassoulet, lobster tartine and a dry-aged burger.
- Alain Ducasse (Benoit) will open Saison, a classic French bistro serving escargot, foie gras terrine, coq au vin and trout amandine.
- Food Network regular Alex Guarnaschelli (Butter) is working on a French restaurant.
- Empellón empire builder Alex Stupak (Empellón al Pastor, Empellón Cocina) will bring tacos and Mexican street grub to Taqa Taqueria.
- Mario Carbone, we assume alongside the rest of the trailblazing Torrisi trio, will open three Italian restaurants: Clam Bar, Italian Steakhouse and Casciano’s Italian Specialties.
- Amanda Cohen is planning a vegetarian/vegan outpost similar to Dirt Candy.
- Josh Capon (El Toro Blanco, Bowery Meat Company) will launch SRF, a seafood spot with a wide-ranging menu similar to Lure Fishbar’s, including sushi, chowder, fried calamari and more.
- Empire Diner’s Amanda Freitag will debut Nonna’s Meatball Kitchen, which assume is her riff on the Meatball Shop.
- Hill Country chef Elizabeth Karmel will sling more barbecue from her wittily named Notorious P.I.G.
- Marc Forgione is working on an exclusive, first-class–only project aptly named Classified.
- Dale Talde (Talde) will helm a bar called Caps Beer Garden.
- Momofuku vet Kevin Pemoulie (Jersey City’s Thirty Acres) is set to open wine bar Oeno.