Like the Subway Series, the large-soda ban and Anthony Weiner’s fitness for office, the topic of best burger in NYC can fuel furious debate among New Yorkers, fans staking out their affinity with impassioned fervor. In a diverse landscape of patty melts, double doubles, fancy chef creations and more, there’s a burger out there for every diner, whether you grew up eating at a bistro in France or an In-N-Out in California. Gotham restaurants have been putting a fancy spin on the humble sandwich since the iconic ‘21’ Club put out its duck-fat “haute” version in the 1950s (see Hamburger history for more fascinating trivia). In recent years, we’ve seen the meteoric ascent of Shake Shack, the weirdest burgers popping up in New York restaurants and a slew of new burgers tricked out with primo ingredients. Taste your way through our lists to decide on your favorite.
RECOMMENDED: See more of the best restaurants in NYC
Best burgers in NYC
Archive best burgers in NYC coverage
Sala One Nine
This Flatiron restaurant offers traditional Spanish cuisine, as well as tapas at the bar.
Venue says: “Open Table Diners' Choice 2016! "Escape to Spain" Spanish Eatery with traditional tapas. To make a reservation, call us at 212-229-2300”
You might also like
- The ten most utterly outrageous action scenes ever seen on film
- Best blazers for women fall 2013: Floral, striped and solid jackets
- Best cardigans and sweaters for women fall 2013: Striped and colored tops
- Best heels fall 2013: Pumps, stilettos, peep-toes and court shoes
- Fall fashion 2013 trend watch: Colorful socks for men