"David Bowie Is" comes to the MCA
Explore the Museum of Contemporary Art's "David Bowie Is" exhibit, an expansive collection of music, fashion and art by the pop chameleon
Mon Aug 11 2014
- Review: "David Bowie Is"
- 10 cool Bowie gift store items
- "David Bowie Is" exhibition gallery
- Q&A: curator Michael Darling
- 19 things we learned about Bowie
No, David Bowie isn't coming to town (as far as we know), but a huge collection of his work will be on display at the Museum of Contemporary Art. Assembling more than 400 artifacts, including original costumes, photographs and artwork, "David Bowie Is" (on display September 23–January 4) explores the career of one of pop culture's most innovative and transgressive figures. Reserve your timed admission (unless you already ponied up for the "superfan" experience) and prepare to be immersed in a world populated by personas like Ziggy Stardust and the Thin White Duke. The celebration of Bowie's work continues throughout the exhibit's run, including performances by local musicians and discussions with artists.
See some of the star man's outfits from the MCA's major exhibition
From south-east London to outer space, David Bowie is rock’s greatest self-reinventor
The MCA curator speaks about putting together a Bowie exhibit worthy of a rock star
Labyrinth wasn’t his only venture into the world of the cinema
Why do we love the glam-rock Space Oddity? It wasn’t just the music (though that was pretty spectacular)
If you've always wanted a David Bowie mug, you're in luck
- White Mystery covers Bowie, Sep 23
- David Bowie Variety Hour, Sep 26 & 27
- Tim Kinsella covers Hunky Dory, Oct 16
- ONO covers Bowie, Nov 4
- Bowie Changes: Bobbie Conn plays Station to Station, Nov 15
- Bowie Changes: Jon Langford & Sally Timms, Nov 21
- Bowie Changes: Disappears plays Low, Nov 22
- The Lonesome Organist covers David Bowie, Dec 9
You might also like
- Price band: 1/4
- 1747 S Halsted St, rear entrance, (at W 18 Stbetween S Desplaines and S Jefferson Sts)
- Price band: 2/4
- 1306 S Michigan Ave, (at 13th St)
- Adler After Dark
- The Naked at the Art Museum Scavenger Hunt
- Chicago Authored
- Macy's Flower Show
- C2E2: Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo
- Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind
- "De vuelta: Works by Chicago Imagist Errol Ortiz"
- "Kathryn Andrews: Run for President"
- The Conjured Life: Surrealism from the MCA Collection
- "Degas: At the Track, On the Stage"