Voting is now open for our Love London Awards, giving you the chance to pick the places you love – from bars and cafés to parks and culture spots – to get Time Out shouting about them. Over the next few weeks, we’ll be providing you with some inspiration for this year’s awards by pulling together some of your cherished London hangouts through the medium of Instagram.
Today’s spotlight is on London’s best cinemas, and boy are we spoilt for choice. From the cheap-and-cheerful community screens at PeckhamPlex to the grand art deco surroundings of the Phoenix in East Finchley, London is full of awesome picture houses. Here are eight of them.
1. Here’s the amazing PeckhamPlex in – you guessed it – Peckham.
2. Yes, it’s part of a chain, but Picturehouse Central on Shaftesbury Avenue is particularly pretty.
3. East Finchley’s Phoenix Cinema can fairly lay claim to being London’s oldest.
4. The Curzon adds a touch of elegance to the brutalist backdrop of Bloomsbury’s Brunswick Centre.
5. Islington’s #iconic Screen On The Green boasts some of the fanciest seats in London.
6. The Lexi Cinema in Kensal Green is run by volunteers and all profits go to charity.
7. The Electric in Shoreditch comes complete with cashmere blankets and your own little drinks table.
8. Finally, here’s our reigning Love London Champion: Crouch End’s Arthouse, a community-run screen in a former Salvation Army hall.