Worldwide icon-chevron-right South Pacific icon-chevron-right Australia icon-chevron-right Melbourne icon-chevron-right What you can and can’t do in Victoria right now

Heads up! We’re working hard to be accurate – but these are unusual times, so please always check before heading out.

Melbourne skyline help emojis
Photograph: Visit Victoria

What you can and can’t do in Victoria right now

Confused about Victoria’s current restrictions? Here are some answers

By Rebecca Russo, Nicola Dowse and Cassidy Knowlton

Life is a little uncertain of late, and it can be a bit confusing (not to mention frustrating) to work out just what is currently allowed within Melbourne and Victoria. We've done our best to outline what the current rules are, in terms you can understand. 

For a full breakdown of Victoria's current restrictions, visit the Victorian Department of Health's website

RECOMMENDED: The best things to do at home in Melbourne right now

What are the current rules?

From 6pm on March 26, Victoria has further relaxed its COVIDSafe settings.

When can I leave my house?

You can leave your house for any reason.

When do I have to wear a mask?

A good rule of thumb is to always carry a mask with you as you still need to wear it in the following settings (unless an exemption applies). Face masks have to be worn:

- On public transport
- In rideshare vehicles and taxis. 
- When visiting a hospital or care facility (while indoors).
- On flights to and from Victoria.
- Indoors at airports.
- If you are awaiting the results of a test and are leaving your home for a permitted reason (for example, to get medical care).  

Can I have people over?

Yes, you can have up to 100 people over to your home per day. 

How many people can gather outdoors?

Up to 200 people can meet outdoors in a public place. 

Can I go back to work?

There are no caps on on-site office work, so both public and private sectors can return to work at 100 per cent capacity.

Are restaurants and bars open?

Yes, hospitality venues can resume trading with a density limit of one person per two square metres both indoor and outdoor. Electronic record-keeping (QR codes) must continue. 

Are other shops open? What about retail?

Yes, retail has resumed trading.

Can I travel around the state and stay overnight?

Yes. If you need ideas about weekend getaways – head here.

Can I travel interstate?

Check with the state or territory you're travelling to before making plans. Some have restrictions about Victorians entering or may require you to make a declaration prior to arrival. 

When are restrictions being eased further?

Unsure at this point – this might depend on how our vaccine rollout goes

Where can I get more information?

Head to the Department of Health’s website for further information and if you have any questions call the hotline on 1800 675 398.

Read on: How to be safe and hygienic on Melbourne public transport.

Staying in?

Time In logo
Time Out

Time In: The best things to do at home

Things to do

We've collected the best ways for you to experience Melbourne while staying at home here into this hub, so you can stay sane, comfortable, fed, watered and entertained at home – while helping small business owners, hospitality workers and creative people who desperately need your business.

Be safe

Melbourne social distancing emojis
Photograph: Flickr/r reeve

Melbourne’s physical distancing rules explained and how to go out right now

Things to do

As we navigate restrictions and kick this virus out of town, everyday life in Melbourne looks a lot different. As things reopen across Melbourne, it's important to follow the rules and keep our numbers low. As Dan Andrews says: "Stay safe, stay open." When you leave your home to enjoy a holiday, go to work, see your friends, exercise, get on the beers or for any other reason, please follow these important rules on physical distancing and enhanced hygiene.


    You may also like