UPDATE: As of July 17, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that NYC is cleared to enter Phase 4 on Monday, July 20. However, indoor activity in malls, restaurants and cultural institutions will not be included. Reopening plans have changed at local indoor museums, attractions, historical sites and aquariums. Check with each venue specifically if you have questions or concerns.
New Yorkers can be an impatient bunch.
Although the city has just entered Phase 3 of reopening on July 6, everyone is already curious about the fourth and final phase—and what it means for little urbanites who are on summer vacation. Provided all goes according to plan, NYC could enter Phase 4 on July 20.
Here's what families can expect to reopen:
- Low-risk indoor arts and entertainment
- Indoor museums
- Historical sites
- Professional sports competitions (without fans)
- Low-risk outdoor arts and entertainment
- Outdoor zoos
- Botanical gardens
- Nature parks
- Grounds of historic sites/cultural institutions
- Outdoor museums
- Outdoor agritourism
- Local agricultural demonstrations/exhibitions
Here are the new rules that will be in place:
- Low-risk outdoor attractions will need to operate at 33 percent capacity
- Visitors and employees must practice social distancing
- Visitors and employees must wear a mask
- Low-risk outdoor and indoor attractions must only permit group tours for members of the same household or party
- Low-risk indoor attractions will need to operate at 25 percent capacity
- Low-risk indoor attractions will need to close high-risk interactive activities
- Visit forward.ny.gov for updates on the full list of all new safety measures
Here's what is still TBD:
- Indoor dining
- Amusement parks (some parks in the tristate area have reopened)
- Movie theaters
Here is what is canceled for the rest of 2020:
- Events at Carnegie Hall
- Events at Lincoln Center
- All Broadway shows
Although your favorite attractions might receive the green light to reopen during Phase 4, always call before making a visit, as some spots are operating on a different schedule. Since this is a constantly changing environment, be sure to check back in for updates. Have a look at the full rundown of Phase 4 on Time Out New York. Stay safe!
Most popular on Time Out
- The best hiking trails for NYC families to explore
- The best strawberry picking in New York for families
- Six Flags Great Adventure's Safari will reopen as a drive-through experience
- The 2020 Summer Reading program from the NYPL is the best yet
- NYC pools might reopen this summer after all according to Mayor de Blasio
Sign up to receive great Time Out New York Kids deals in your inbox each day.