This summer season, don’t be surprised if you see a vending machine filled with something other than chips, candy or soda. Jet Blue’s initiative, the Soar With Reading program, placed six vending machines throughout the five boroughs for the first time since its 2015 founding and packed them with picture books and kids' novels. The selections are for everyone, from toddlers to 14-year-old readers, and they’re completely FREE.
Even better? They're yours to keep—no returns necessary! The goal of the program is to promote reading during the summer months, particularly in under-served communities. The book genres and designated age ranges all vary, so there is most definitely something for the perfect storytime for kids. Additionally, the vending machines will be refilled every two weeks, so youngsters can come back for new stories and genres, which may even include kids' books about NYC!
Curious about the locales? We'll help you find 'em:
- Brooklyn:Brownsville Recreation Center on 1555 Linden Blvd
- Bronx: PAL, Inc. New South Bronx Center on 991 Longwood Ave
- Manhattan: Riverbank State Park on 679 Riverside Dr
- Queens: the Queens Public Library (Main Branch) on 89-11 Merrick Blvd and Ocean Bay Community Cornerstone on 67-10 Beach Channel Dr
- Staten Island: Faber Park on Richmond Terrace
If your tiny bookworms are still in search of a great read (and want to leave a few stories in the vending machines for their peers) be sure to check out the best bookstores in NYC, too!