UPDATE: Mayor Bill de Blasio that day camps and child care centers in NYC can reopen on Monday, July 13. All day camps and child care programs must adhere to the state guidelines outlined below.
It's just the latest major announcement from Albany that will shape what families in NYC can and cannot do right now. In recent days, Governor Cuomo issued a statement that allows playgrounds to reopen, but made the decision that sleepaway camp must remain closed.
In other words: Your children are allowed to spend time outside and play with other kids, but they must be placed in small groups that don't change every day, and they must follow social distance rules.
The rules issued by New York State for day camp and child care facilities include:
• Staff must wear a face mask at all times when with children; masks should be provided by the employer at no cost
• Hand sanitizer must be available in all common areas
• Staff and children groups will be stable, and ideally stay the same whenever and wherever possible
• Group size must be limited to no more than 10 children; different groups of children should have no contact or minimal contact with one another or use spaces at the same time
• Physical activities should have little or no physical contact, such as hiking and running
• Field trips are discouraged, as are any activities involving public transportation
• Social distancing must be maintained in small areas, including restrooms
• Spaces should be reconfigured to limit the overall density of rooms to 10 or fewer children
• Prohibit non-essential visitors
• Have designated areas for pickup and drop-off, and limit contact to the extent possible
Learn more online to see what summer will look like for your little ones this year.
Most popular on Time Out
- Disney's free drawing classes teach you how to sketch your favorite princesses
- Tour the real-life locations of Harry Potter's world with Google Earth
- Celebrate the 100th birthday of Deno’s Wonder Wheel with a free coloring book
- New York's kiddie salons share advice on how to cut your child's hair at home
- Best family restaurants in NYC doing delivery