Although the approaching end of a gloomy 2016 is the only reason we need to rejoice at the impending arrival of 2017, we decide to take a stance against negativity and actually find reasons to be excited about a new year. From thrilling cultural happenings to food-related trends and lots of Netflix-related news, there are clearly plenty of reasons to look forward to 2017:
1. There's a Wonder Woman movie coming out.
2. This might be the year Nick Viall actually finds love as the new Bachelor.
3. New York's LaGuardia Airport is finally being redone so flying into and out of one of the country's top cities might become a pleasurable experience.
4. The Blade Runner remake, starring Ryan Gosling, is coming out...
5. ...and so is Trainspotting 2!
6. Speaking of returns: Showtime will drop a Twin Peaks revival this year.
8. ...and Mariah Carey and Lionel Richie are embarking on a joint tour (!!!).
9. We can put "lit," "#goals," "that shit cray" and "basic" behind us (we beg of you).
10. We'll be able to get wasted at Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
11. No more Kardashians? Our social media feeds have been pretty quiet recently without Kim flooding them.
12. Flying cars might become a reality.
13. The Vespa will officially go electric!
14. Mercury will not be in retrograde (at least during the start of the new year...)
16. ...plus a bunch of returns, including a second season of Stranger Things.
17. New year, new eating habits: This will be the year we'll actually cook up some of those Tasty recipes that are all over Facebook.
18. In case that doesn't happen as often as we'd like for it to, we'll head to all the new restaurants opening in 2017 (like these New York ones).
19. This will be the first full calendar year during which Leonardo DiCaprio will be referred to as an Academy Award winner.
20. Well-crafted cocktails will only become better...
21. ...but we'll still have the option to grab a nice cold ale at one of the best craft beer breweries in America.
22. We'll be able to enjoy the end of the 2016 NBA season... and prepare for the next one.
23. Same goes for the NFL.
24. Alicia Keys is back as a coach on The Voice.
25. And so is Miley Cyrus (albeit in two seasons).
28. DRALO (Drake + J.Lo) will become an official thing in 2017?!
29. Given the giant leaps forward we've witnessed in the 2016 emoji-sphere, we are excited about possibly getting a Netflix-and-chill emoji in the near future?
30. In comedy news: Chris Rock will embark on his first tour in 9 years...
32. You now have a full 365 days to tour all of America's national parks—and here is the most efficient way to see them all.
33. Harry Potter is coming to America (well, in 2018, but we'll be excited about it all 2017 long).
35. The new season of Game of Thrones will premiere in the summer.
36. You might fly to the moon?
37. Or explore America like never before...
38. ...or take a cheap vacation with your family in tow...
39. ...or go on your honeymoon!
40. Hopefully, a new year means we're done with this Pokemon Go business.
41. Train, Fergie, Major Lazer, Ryan Adams, Little Big Town, Michelle Branch and Brad Paisley are all releasing new music.
42. Although we're excited about all of the above, we'll still use the upcoming year to properly mourn and honor the great artists that we recently lost.
43. Possibly, maybe, is this really happening... More Gilmore Girls episodes on the way?!
44. There's a new museum coming to Liberty Island, which means we'll have yet another reason to visit New York.
45. New year means returning music festivals. Here are some of the year's usual best.
47. More Martha & Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party episodes!
48. Given that our new President is Trump, expect more of this.