Rogers Park is home to plenty of great shops, restaurants and bars—and its residents know all the hidden gems. From the area's best coffee shops to beautiful Chicago beaches and the best sushi restaurants, the locals know where to go. We reached out to a few residents for some great recommendations.
RECOMMENDED: Our complete guide to Rogers Park
Rogers Park residents picks
First Lady of the 49th Ward and National Executive Director of Democratic Municipal Officials
1. J.B. Alberto's for the best thin-crust sausage pizza in the world
2. Glenwood Sunday Market for the best farmers’ market in town
3. Morse Market for ethnic specialties and an array of gourmet items
4. Rogers Park Social for fabulous pre- or post-theater craft cocktails
5. Caribbean American Baking Company for meat pies and rum cake
6. Panaderia Ayutla for the best pastries and doughnuts
7. R Public House for a neighborhood restaurant and bar that feels like home
8. Twisted Tapas for a great date night spot, delicious jalapeno gnocchi and bacon-wrapped dates
9. Gold'n Pear Catering for amazing custom menus for any size party
10. Cap’t Nemos for the best takeout and great soups and subs
11. Su Taqueria El Rey Del taco y Sus Mariscos for the best margaritas in our neighborhood
12. Kenny the Kleener for having great same day service and staying open late
You're Being Ridiculous creator, producer and host
1. Loyola Beach and Park for a gorgeous beach and park that is still Chicago’s best kept secret
2. Lifeline Theatre for incredible programs and Fillet of Solo Festival, which make it the cultural cornerstone of the neighborhood
3. Oasis for a bar that will definitely become your favorite. Ask for Gigi, and then slowly give her all your money.
4. SP Kebab for the #14. I could eat it every day.
5. Rogers Park Social for the classiest joint in all of Rogers Park. Bring your mom and order her the “Gimme S’more.”
6. bopNGrill for the Philly Cheese-steak Egg Rolls—pray they aren’t out.
7. R Public House for the Bloody Mary that Renee makes—you won’t want one from anywhere else.
8. Ethiopian Diamond for the best vegetarian sampler, seriously
9. Glenwood Farmers Market for a fun way to spend summer Sunday mornings
10. Lickity Split for Scarlet’s Last Fall
Operations and Marketing Director, Fifth House Ensemble
1. The Growling Rabbit for excellent coffee and breakfast with tons of vegetarian and vegan options
2. Sauce and Bread for the best breads and healthy meals in the area. Plus, their line of co-op hot sauce.
3. Norse Bar for a small neighborhood bar with a fantastic draft list. They’re dog-friendly and BYOF.
4. J.B. Alberto's for my favorite thin-crust pizza in the neighborhood
5. New 400 Theatres for cheap tickets and quality, intimate experience
6. Ethiopian Diamond for great Ethiopian food that’s hard to beat
7. Heartland Café for a bar that really functions as a community center and has great vegetarian and vegan food
8. Rogers Park Fine Wine & Spirits for a small but well curated selection of beer, wine and spirits
9. El Pueblito for late-night Mexican food
10. Funk Trunk Records for a store that specializes in R&B, funk, jazz and soul LPs
Administrative Assistant, @properties
1. Sauce and Bread for really great, fresh food with a ton of co-op hot sauces
2. Uncommon Ground for the cutest outdoor patio and great cocktails
3. Ghareeb Nawaz for $4 meals and staying open 24 hours a day
4. Uru-Swati for the best Indian food in Chicago
5. Audio Archeology for records and weird knickknacks
6. The Growling Rabbit for a cute café with great coffee and pie
7. Ethiopian Diamond for the veggie combo. I eat here every month! It’s perfect.
8. New 400 Theater for inexpensive movie tickets
9. Common Cup for a great coffee shop and delicious pie
10. Mayne Stage for a great sounding venue with good food
11. The Glenwood for an awesome dog-friendly bar and good beer
12. Heartland Café for lots of veggie options and a great vintage vibe