This Friday night, Hong Kong's drag community will gather for an event the likes of which the city hasn't seen before. This Saturday, Drag Domination sees the city's best drag queens take the stage for what promises to be a huge fabulous evening of performances, lip sync battles, and the unveiling of a brand new queen. We spoke with the wonderfully named Coco Pop, a leafing Hong Kong drag figure and one of the organisers of this weekend's event, about what to expect at this loud and proud night out.
Hi, Coco! What's Drag Domination all about?
It's a bunch of drag queens finding an excuse to have a party.
The LGBT festival season is just beginning. It's time to have some fun, and make history for the local drag culture.
Everyone deserves the chance to be themselves, and drag queens are the perfect example of how to live with confidence, and being fabulous.
Finding a stage bigger than 2 square meters!
It is glowing slowly and becoming more visible. For the last few years, I've been happy to see more opportunities because of more commercial support, and not just from the local LGBT community.
For the first time ever, six talented drag queens lining up together in Hong Kong, and behaving outrageously!
You might also like
- Interview: Courtney Act on the changing face of gender
- Filmmaker Ray Yeung: "I just wanted to show two Asian guys in love"
- Interview: Ka-man Tse on the power of portraits
- Interview: Eric East, the first gay porn star from China
- Transgender prostitute Little White Fox on sex, heteronormativity and her debut book