Update from the NYPL: As part of New York City’s reopening, The New York Public Library is beginning the careful, phased process of returning limited service to its physical locations. Starting on Monday, July 13, we will begin by offering grab-and-go service at eight library locations. At each of these locations, patrons will be able to access a limited area for returns and to pick up materials that they’ve reserved. Patrons can start placing holds on physical materials via our online catalog starting on Monday, July 6 in advance of the reopening, or via phone starting July 13.
This is shaping up to be the summer of reading.
The New York Public Library's annual Summer Reading event is going to be bigger than ever this year. Titled "Summer Reading 2020: Quest for Adventure," the program has a new homepage with online resources that will make reading that much more fun—and that will make your little bookworm feel connected to the library community.
Just as important for parents, this Quest for Adventure could become a part of what saves this at-home summer. With summer camps still a question mark and summer travel still up in the air, it's not always clear what families can and cannot do in New York City right now.
One thing you most definitely can do? Read lots and lots of books for free. SimplyE, the e-reader from the NYPL, costs nothing and lets you access more than 300,000 books including many on the list of the "125 Kids Books We Love," and Time Out New York Kids' own "101 Best Books for Kids of All Ages."
Summer Reading 2020: Quest for Adventure includes:
• An Essay Contest with prizes
• A summer reading list for kids of all ages
• Activity books, reading logs and badges
• A full program of virtual events that including storytimes, readings and author talks
More resources will become available later in the summer, including virtual summer camp activities.
Most popular on Time Out
- Disney's free drawing classes teach you how to sketch your favorite princesses
- Tour the real-life locations of Harry Potter's world with Google Earth
- Celebrate the 100th birthday of Deno’s Wonder Wheel with a free coloring book
- New York's kiddie salons share advice on how to cut your child's hair at home
- Best family restaurants in NYC doing delivery