Last Saturday September 24, Melbourne's sausage dogs gathered at Hophaus Southgate for the Teckelrennen Annual Dachshund Race. They pounded the pavement with their little wiener legs along a 15-metre racetrack and paraded in the cutest fancy dress competition of all time, all to raise money for Dachshund Rescue Australia. We sent our dog-loving photographer Carmen Zammit on a very important mission to snap the speedy sausage dogs and because this was a competition in which all the dachshunds were winners wieners (sorrynotsorry), here are the best-dressed pooches of the day in no particular order.
1. Demigoddess Wonderwoman, slayer of doggy treats, warrior princess of the Amazons
2. Woody, who is showing us how dogs really wear pants.
3. And here we have the Oktoberfest beer wench, who wore her best braids for the day
4. These jailbirds who are doing hard time and took some time out from the chain gang for a doggy parade
5. Look, we're totally against violence in all forms, but we'll allow this murderous tyrant to roam our dog parks
6. Most likely to be the next Bachelors
7. Most likely to win the Bachelor's heart and run off with the 'promise ring'
8. We want so badly for this dog octopus to be called Ursula
9. This little cutie is a little early for Christmas but we don't care because we can look into those brown eyes until next Easter
10. You can fly me anywhere you like, Captain Wiener
11. This one didn't even bother to get dressed, but look at that dopey little face. You do you, dog