The Sun Theatre
Time Out says
This pint-sized cinema has been independently run since it opened in 1938. Not only will you find a welcome breadth of arthouse and foreign films on the program; you'll also admire its well-preserved Art Deco facade on the way in. Even Quentin Tarantino visited the Sun Theatre on his Hateful Eight publicity tour.
Reasonably priced tickets encourage frequent viewing, and the choc tops are second to one. It also abuts the now-permanent Yarraville plaza – an AstroTurfed heaven perfect for a quick pre-movie beverage.
8 Ballarat St
|Transport:||Nearby stations: Yarraville|
|Opening hours:||Daily 9.30am-9.30pm|
- A trainee lawyer helps death row inmates in this stirring drama based on the work of attorney Bryan Stevenson. Michael B Jordan (Creed, Black Panther) is on fine form as the young Harvard graduate who offers free legal services to men like Walte...Read more
- You don’t go to Roland Emmerich for subtlety. The director behind such shuddering behemoths as Independence Day, 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow is most comfortable with explosions – he exists only to make Michael Bay seem slightly more interest...Read more
- A pure adrenaline hit of a movie that takes place mostly in the lethal glare of daylight, Sam Mendes’s stunning, sorta-single-take 1917 hits its greatest heights when darkness falls. A single British soldier dusts himself off from a glancing wou...Read more
- Get your cringing over with now: the guy who directed Thor: Ragnarok, New Zealand’s gifted Taika Waititi, has made a movie about an adorable Hitler Youth whose imaginary buddy is Adolf himself (Waititi plays Hitler). Honestly, the news is good –...Read more
- You can almost taste the salt on your lips while watching the new psychological horror film from The Witch’s Robert Eggers, one that will leave even the sturdiest of sea legs shaking. It’s a two-handed chamber piece about a pair of lighthouse ke...Read more
- Transforming her voice into a husky boom, Mad Max: Fury Road’s Charlize Theron continues to be the best thing in movies about irresponsible men. As Bombshell’s subtly aggrieved Megyn Kelly – the Fox News anchor who largely turned the tide on eve...Read more
- It’s rare for a movie to combine cinematic fireworks and social commentary in quite the thrilling and mischievous way that Korean director Bong Joon-ho manages with Parasite, a slick home-invasion drama that mirrors the masks worn by its charact...Read more