Where to hang out alone in Melbourne
1. Pull up a bar stool at Pellegrini’s and work your way through a huge bowl of ravioli.
2. Grab a seat at one of Melbourne's many warm and friendly little bars: we’ve found that the bartenders at Lulie Street Tavern, Black Pearl and Rooks Return are particularly talkative with solo patrons.
3. Eat a plate of dumplings in Chinatown – you'll probably be shoved on someone else's table anyway.
4. Arm yourself with a magazine, a novel (or, if you're feeling creative, a notebook and pen,) and try a new place for brunch.
6. Go vintage shopping at one of Melbourne’s cavernous bazaars: our favourites are the Chapel St Bazaar and Fitzroy’s Lost and Found. Being alone means you can rummage for hours, guilt-free (and try on the weirdest ’80s prom dresses and faux-fur pimp coats you can find).
9. Pick up a tattered old novel in a second-hand bookshop and wonder where the time went once you’re half-way through the story.
11. Enjoy company of the feline persuasion at the Cat Café.
12. Enrol in a dance or circus class that scares you. Unlike your mates, you’ll never have to face your classmates ever again if you don’t want to.
13. Lace up your sneakers and run the Tan!
14. Wander around your favourite ‘hood with a camera and practice your photography skills.
15. Head to the Melbourne Museum and spend the whole time in the dinosaur area (or, if you’re insane, in the Bugs Alive! room).
16. See quality art for nothing at Melbourne's free art galleries. Spend hours gazing at a piece that inspires you, or – if you're not into it – shamelessly get through the whole gallery in five minutes.
18. Sign up for a spot of public service, like volunteering at your local op shop. A good deed only counts if you do it under the radar.
19. Explore the Abbotsford Convent: you’ll find more than you think.
21. Take a walk through the Melbourne General Cemetery (or the adjacent Princes Park) for some quiet, reflective time.
22. Overcome the mental hurdle of going to a bathhouse: it’s one of the best ways to chill out. These are our favourites.
23. Treat yourself to a beauty treatment: get your nails did, or get a massage.
24. Go swimming at one of Melbourne's most beautiful public swimming spots.