After a long, dreary winter there is no better feeling than the first rays of spring sunshine. In Melbourne the whole city comes to life with flower blooms, baby animals...and footy colours. Here are the 19 things we love most about spring time in Melbourne.
1. The moment when the trees lining the eastern suburbs burst into flower.
2. And when the once scraggly London Plane trees sprout leaves in the city.
3. How it becomes acceptable, nay, encouraged to wear your footy colours to work/uni/everywhere in the lead up to the grand final.
4. Being able to stock up on Bertie Beetles at the Royal Melbourne Show.
5. Having drinks at one of Melbourne’s best rooftop bars without freezing to death.
6. Wearing T-shirts the instant it hits 20 degrees outside.
7. And regretting it when the weather inevitably turns two hours later.
8. The extra hours of daylight meaning we get to enjoy the sunset after work at one of these top locations.
9. Going on day trips to the Tesselaar Tulip Festival for flower ‘grams.
10. Then stopping at Cherry Hill orchards on the way home to admire the pretty pink trees.
12. Exploring the weird but wonderful offerings at the Melbourne Festival.
13. Having not one, but two days off in the name of sport.
14. Drinking on-water thanks to the return of Arbory Afloat.
15. Patting all the baby animals at Collingwood Children’s Farm.
16. Walking one of the best day hikes from Melbourne.
17. Dressing up for the race that stops the nation (even if it’s just to watch it at your mate’s house).
18. Partying with pooches at dog music festival Dogapalooza.
19. Enjoying the killer line-up and free events during Melbourne Music Week.